Tuesday, May 3, 2011

diy lanterns for childrens room

I love the idea of paper lanterns, there is so much you can do with them. I am doing a conglomerate of different styles for my nursery.
materials include: decorative paper, scissors, elmers glue, tissue paper, paper lantern

This is the end product. These are from paper lanterns bought at walmart for a dollar! I got several white ones, and green ones too. I bought One overly large one from ikea for $5. Start with long strips of tissue paper.
You can stack round, square, heart, any shape to these lanterns, I chose circles and tear drop shapes. Simply glue from the bottom first and over lap toward the top of the lantern. I added simple circles to the very bottom to give it more from the under view, since these will hang from the ceiling with fishing line. I am creating about 5 of these sized, then ONE LARGE 10" lantern covered in colorful flags and pennants.


Other lanterns (flags and pennants):
Materials: 10" paper lantern, scissors, hot glue, differnent colored paper, ribbon, thread of any color.

I started by cutting out long strips of paper, different patterns




I cut them into 2"x1" triangles. Smaller ones to overlap as they are going to be on my 10" lantern.


next I lined them up on a ribbon, alternating patterns, using my hot glue gun I placed glue on both sides of the triangle. Then, pressed the ribbon binding the triangles.

As a detail I choose to hand sew brite blue thread through the orange ribbon. Along with this I also sewed the triangles, together.

I used sewing pins to position the flags. I draped and overlapped them in a few places. once I decided where to place them with the pins, I super glued flags down in only a few places allowing for the draping to be organic looking. VOILA! Your large pennant and flag lantern.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I love your blog, you've got some interesting stuff already :) Maybe you can return the favor and follow my new blog too! http://adventuresofasupermom-superm0m87.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to use your idea! I'm getting married and my colors are tiffany blue and red, I'm having a hard time finding the exact blue to match. With your example I can choose what ever tissue paper and transform it! So excited, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad you found it useful! I used paper lanterns for my little brothers wedding decor! it turned out great! you can buy big or small ones, stacking them is great too. It looks very customized and expensive! id love to be sent pictures of what you create!

    ReplyDelete